JOB TITLE: HANDYPERSON
REPORTING TO: Home Manager
JOB PURPOSE: To carry out day to day maintenance on the fabric of the building, its services and grounds in order to ensure that the Care Home is maintained in a safe and efficient functional order.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
· General maintenance knowledge / experience e.g. minor electrical, plumbing, joinery work etc.
· Good communication skills
· Confident team player
· Clean driving licence
· Use of a car or similar vehicle
· Willingness to receive training on current Health & Safety / EHO issues
· Satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Barring System check (DBS)
· Satisfactory Independent Safeguarding Authority check (ISA)
· Understanding of central heating systems, laundry equipment and hot & cold water systems
· Knowledge of current Health & Safety regulations
1. Report and action any known defects to appliances, damaged furniture / equipment and any other potential hazards to the Home Manager, who will advise accordingly.
2. Ensure the maintenance of the Care home’s exterior, including:
· Keep any sheds, outbuildings and areas in which waste is stored in a clean and tidy condition.
· Clear snow and grit the drive, paths and any areas to which Clients, Visitors or Staff Members have access.
· Where applicable, cut the grass around the building and tend to any flowerbeds, hanging baskets etc.
· Clean all signs / lighting outside the Care Home.
3. Carry out any patching up or touching up of decoration as and when required in order to maintain a high standard of the Care Home.
4. Test the fire alarm system, and log results, weekly. Check call points, fire exits, door retaining devices and fire emergency lights, as specified in Company procedures.
5. Ensure all ventilation units and lights are kept clean. Replace any defective light bulbs / diffusers.
6. Test all portable appliances as specified in Company procedures.
7. Test, and record, water temperatures as specified in Company procedures.
8. Maintain a “Maintenance Book” in which defects are recorded by Staff Members. Use this book to effect repairs/replacements daily.
9. Assist/supervise with deliveries to the Care Home. Monitor delivered goods closely.
10. Complete all relevant paperwork in line with the Company’s Quality Assurance Management system
10. Liaise with Home Manager, or delegated Staff Member, regarding maintenance work to be carried out.
11. Participate in Staff and Client meetings as required.
Training & Development:
12. Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
13. Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
Health & Safety:
14. Ensure that paints and varnishes are used and stored only in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions.
15. Ensure areas in which any painting / varnishing work is being done is well ventilated and safe for Clients, Visitors and Staff Members.
16. Report immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, colleague, self or another.
17. Understand and ensure the implementation of the Care Home’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
18. Promote safe working practice in the Care Home.
19. Inform the Home Manager or Person in Charge of any visit to Care Centre by Maintenance Staff. Record the visit in appropriate file.
20. Maintain / secure any vehicle in use at the Care Home and undertake driving duties if required.
21. Cover for annual leave / absence in other Care Homes as and when appropriate.
22. Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Care Home.
23. Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
24. Notify the Home Manager, or the Person in Charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
25. Ensure the security of the Care Home is maintained at all times.
26. Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
27. Ensure all equipment used is clean and well maintained.
28. Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
29. Be ‘on-call’ for advice / action in any emergencies which may arise out of hours.
30. Where a ‘fault’ cannot be rectified, provide details of the fault to the Home Manager / Person in Charge or the Facilities Manager as soon as possible so that services are not disrupted for lengthy periods and appropriate instructions can be given regarding action to take.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
Pearlcare reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to business needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with Pearlcare the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.
APPLY: Email: email@example.com or call on 01260 278 710