JOB TITLE: CARE ASSISTANT
RATE OF PAY: £8.72ph
REPORTING TO: Care Manager, Deputy Home Manager, Deputy Care Manager /Senior Care Assistant
JOB PURPOSE: To assist in the provision of care and work as part of a team to achieve required standards. To ensure Clients retain their dignity and individuality. To be involved in the general activities of the Care Home.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
· Genuine interest in working within a caring environment
· Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
· Team player
· Willingness to participate in Vocational Training Programmes
· Satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Barring System check (DBS)
· Satisfactory Independent Safeguarding Authority check (ISA)
· Relevant Vocational Qualification (achieved / working towards)
· Experience of working with the relevant Client group
1. Ensure the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting/assisting Clients, when required, with washing, toileting, dressing, undressing, and all other aspects of daily living.
2. Assist Clients in all aspects of their care needs (e.g. physical, emotional and spiritual). Provide attention when needed, whilst ensuring Clients retain their comfort and dignity.
3. Pay particular attention to assisting Clients who have limited mobility, or physical / learning difficulties, making the best use of aids provided.
4. Closely monitor Clients who may be confused and / or who have behavioural problems.
5. Assist in the promotion of continence.
6. Assist in the delivery of care for Clients who are dying or who have a progressive illness. Assist with end of life.
7. Observe care planning needs for Clients and complete written daily records as instructed and in line with the Company’s policies and procedures.
8. Assist in framework of social activities by interacting with Clients and helping them continue with hobbies and activities in the Care Home.
9. Answer Nurse call system, giving assistance as required. Answer the door and telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly, and pass on messages promptly.
10. Under the supervision and guidance of senior Care Staff, report on the well-being of Clients.
11. Carry out regular checks on Clients at intervals determined by senior Staff Members.
12. Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
13. Make and change beds, ensuring that rooms are clean and tidy, and commodes are empty, in line with the Care Homes disposal of waste policy. Ensure the Care Homes resources are used appropriately.
14. Clean and maintain equipment used by Clients / Relatives e.g. wheelchairs, hearing aids, spectacles etc. Ensure the Care Home is kept clean and tidy, in line with the Company’s attention to detail philosophy.
15. If applicable, care for Clients’ clothing and rooms as named, and ensure that all clothing is recorded and clearly marked.
16. Ensure full privacy and dignity is maintained for the dying and the bereaved, in line with the Company’s policies and procedures.
17. Assist Clients who need help during meal times (be aware of swallowing difficulties, dietary requirements etc). Assist with serving of food / drinks as requested / required. Wash up as requested / required.
18. Escort Clients travelling to and from the Care Home e.g. on social outings, hospital visits etc.
19. Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Clients’ personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Clients.
20. Participate in Staff and Client meetings as and when required.
Training & Development:
21. Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
22. Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
23. Participate in relevant SVQ training to achieve required qualifications.
Health & Safety:
24. Report immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, colleague, self or another.
25. Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Care Home’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
26. Report to the Home Manager, or the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
27. Promote safe working practice within the Care Home.
28. Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Care Home.
29. Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties.
30. Notify the Home Manager, or the Person in Charge, as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
31. Ensure the security of the Care Home is maintained at all times
32. Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined time scales.
33. Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
34. All staff are responsible for protecting themselves and others against infection risks. All staff regardless of whether clinical or not are expected to comply with current infection control policies and procedures and to report any problems with regard to this to the manager. All staff undertaking patient care activities must attend infection control training and updates as require by Pearlcare.
35. Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you. his Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
Pearlcare reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to business needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with Pearlcare the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.