JOB TITLE: Head of Care
REPORTING TO: Home Manager and Deputy Manager
JOB PURPOSE: To oversee / maintain the care of Clients and support staff within the Care Home. Ensure that all Company policies and procedures, and all legal requirements, are adhered to within the defined timescales.
Main responsibilities: – To act as the person in charge in the absence of the Home Manager and Deputy Manager, taking over responsibility for the smooth running of the home and general wellbeing of the residents and staff.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
- NVQ Level 3 in Care of the Elderly or equivalent /working towards NVQ level 4
- Previous management/supervisory experience
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Team player
- Genuine interest in working with the relevant Client group
- Satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Barring System check (DBS)
- Satisfactory Independent Safeguarding Authority check (ISA)
- Care for the Elderly experience / qualification
- Minimum two years management / supervisory experience
1. Ensure all Staff Members contribute to the best of their ability to the efficient running of the Care Home, and to the creation of an atmosphere conductive to the best interests of Clients.
2. Interact with Clients to ensure that their health care needs are being met and resolve any problems where appropriate. liaise with the G.P., District Nurse’s and the multi-disciplinary teams regarding Clients’ health care needs.
3. Report any ill-health amongst Clients and make requests for GP / Professional visits where necessary.
4. Ensure meals are of sufficient quantity and good quality, and that Client’s dietary needs are met.
5. Undertake general nursing work & personal care as appropriate.
6. Administer prescribed medicines and maintain the necessary records as per Company guidelines.
7. Support and assist the Home Manager in auditing Care Plan documentation/quality assurance systems, to ensure best practice.
8. Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Clients’ personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Clients. Communication:
9. Maintain effective communications with the Home Manager.
10. As requested by, and/or in the absence of, the Home Manager maintain effective communications with Clients, Relatives, Staff Members, Regional Managers, Operations Manager, Managing Director and any other concerned bodies.
11. Obtain a report from the Person in Charge, and advice the Home Manager, regarding any incident/accident, and the status of any Clients whose care / health is causing concern.
12. Supervise visits and liaise with GPs in order to establish a good relationship between GPs / Health Care Professionals and the Care Home.
13. Ensure a clear and concise handover report is given to all Staff Members.
14. Arrange / participate in Staff and Client meetings as and when required.
Other responsibilities: –
1. To ensure that all staff member are compliant and contribute to the best of their ability the correct care practices and to promote the efficient running of the care home
2. To oversee correct implementation on MCM (electronic care plans and records) and monitoring of the effectiveness
3. To participate in assessment, formulation and reviewing of each individual care plan
4. To lead on End of Life Care liaising with Palliative care teams and GP
5. To oversee Continence at the home, liaising with Continence services as required
6.To oversee Nutrition needs at the home, liaising with SALT and Dieticians
7. To interact with residents to ensure their health needs are fully met by liaising with or attendance at meetings with MDT,
8. To issue instructions to and monitor the performance of Senior Care staff and Care staff and ensure tasks are completed satisfactorily
9. To be a point of on call, in an emergency, using a rota system
This is not an exhaustive list
15. Actively market the Care Home and promote a positive personal / professional profile within the local community, ensuring the good reputation of the Care Home at all times.
16. In the absence of the Home Manager, and in conjunction with the Regional Manager, endeavour to fill any Client vacancy by liaising with Social Services and health authorities/boards and assessing/selecting suitable Clients. (These places are to be offered within the normal terms of residency and the fee structure in operation within the Care Home at the time).
17. Ensure the Care Home is attractively presented, and odour free, at all times, in line with the Company’s attention to detail philosophy.
18. Ensure a viewing room is suitably presented and available at all times (unless Care Home is fully occupied).
Training & Development:
19. Supervise and instruct junior and new Staff Members in all aspects of their work in the Care Home, giving help and guidance where appropriate and assisting in keeping records up to date.
20. Maintain and improve professional knowledge and competence.
21. Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
Health & Safety:
22. Report immediately to the Home Manager any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Client, colleague, self or another. Be responsible for infection control in the absence of the Home Manager.
23. Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Care Homes Health & Safety policy, and Emergency & Fire procedures.
24. In the absence of the Home Manager, carry out duties as “Responsible Officer” for the Care Home in line with Care Quality Commission (CQC) guidelines, the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and Fire Regulations.
25. Report to the Home Manager, or the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
26. Promote safe working practice within the Care Home.
27. Adhere to all appropriate regulations and the General Social Care Council Code of Conduct.
28. Ensure that all existing stocks are maintained in a safe and tidy environment and reordered as and when required.
29. Maintain such log books and records as may be required by both the Registering Authority and the Company.
30. Be ‘on-call’, for emergencies, which may arise within the Care Home, and to cover shifts if all other avenues have been exhausted.
31. Ensure that all information of a confidential nature gained in the course of work is not divulged to third parties.
32. Notify the Home Manager (or, in the absence of the Home Manager, the Regional Manager) as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty, and also on your return to work from all periods of absence.
33. In the absence of the Home Manager and Deputy Manager report directly to the Regional Manager.
34. Ensure the security of the Care Home is maintained at all times
36. Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
37. Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
38. Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
Pearlcare reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to business needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with Pearlcare the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.